Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Another busy weekend has passed but I did manage to get some stitching done. When I first started the embroidery on the luna moth (from January's TIF Challenge), I decided to use variegated thread for the veins in the wings. I'm not sure if that was the right decision. I think a single, soft green strand of floss would have given it a more delicate feel; however, it is looking better since I added the purple trim.
Right wing partial
The purple trim is done with 3 strands of silk floss laid very close together. Rather labor intensive, I must say... I'm going to try and get the other wing in the same shape before this weekend. It's really starting to look like a luna moth!

I have been fascinated by luna moths since I was a kid. When I was young, I read "Girl of the Limberlost" by Gene Stratton Porter, in which luna moths are featured, and it just built from there. When we lived in Louisiana, I found two (at two different times) amongst the pine trees on Fort Polk. The second one had just come out of its chrysalis and I spent quite some time on a morning in June holding it while its wings expanded. It was very cool. Love 'em!

That's all for now. I think I need to up my creative time so I get more done. These posts are getting shorter and shorter and more and more boring. Hope to be back soon!

7 comments:

Rian said...

It's lookin good!

allie aller said...

You are never boring, Marty!

Threadspider said...

I echo Allie's comments- never boring and well worth waiting for. Good to know someone else who loves to watch butterflies and moths emerging from a chrysalis.

Susan said...

Oh, no, I definitely like the variegated thread! Nature is variegated! How pretty that purple silk is, too.

That book was one of my favorites for a long, long time! I'd actually like to read it again, I think. I'll check the library this summer, but it's undoubtedly not there.

Rissa said...

The moth is looks great!

Candi said...

The moth is looking wonderful and I love he variegated thread!
HUGZ:)
Candi

Anonymous said...

Adsl
Magazin Gazete