Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"After the Ball"

What a weekend! I spent nearly 25 hours this weekend working on my Alliance for Quilts piece, "After the Ball." I'm so glad it was a 3 day weekend! ;0)
Partially finished
This addition of gloves to a CQ project is an idea that has been percolating in my little brain for awhile. I knew I could weave a story around a pair of gloves, and when I saw this lovely lady and her hand mirror, everything clicked in my head.

The gloves have been slipped off and her jewels have joined them. She gazes pensively into the mirror and, once again, feels the music and his touch on her arm...

I think I may have read one too many historical romances! :0)


I've fixed the parts of the button detail in the corner that were bugging me. It "feels" much better to me now. The major components are all here, now I just need to add all the pieces that pull it together.

We spent the weekend before in Colorado with the kids and the grandkids. It was a whirlwind 5 days but it sure was fun. I'll treat you to a couple of pictures... after June 1st!! I have to go do some beading now.


Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Alliance for Quilts continues

Hey, ladies... how's everyone today? For those Mamas out there, I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day! I got a call from each of the boys so that made it a banner day for me.

I've been working slowly on my entry in the Alliance for American Quilts "Crazy for Quilts" Contest. Time is passing rather quickly, though, so I need to get my butt in gear! Here is the lovely lady that will reside in the upper left corner of the piece:
Top left block
I finished the barely visible seams and added pearls around her picture. I'm pretty tickled that they came out so well, with no blank spaces and in perfect order! I'm not sure how I'll finish off the doily since it isn't perfectly round. A spray of flowers might be in the plan somewhere, though.

Here is the lower left block:
Bottom left block
I placed a button cluster in the outer corner. I think it needs some help but probably won't do more on it until I have them all sewn together. Here's a closer look (click to embiggen):
Button cluster closeup
The left side needs to have a vine trailing out across the seam to balance it out, I think. We'll see!

Here is the lower right hand block:
Bottom right block
If you think the piecing is a bit wonky on these, you're right. I decided to use a method other than the center first piecing method, just for fun. Probably not the smartest thing to do for an entry in a contest; however, I need to keep pushing myself and learning so I keep myself interested and engaged. That being said, I find this method harder than starting with that little five-sided center bit of cloth, that's for sure!

Ok... off to keep stitching... hope I get it done in time!