Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Alliance for Quilts continues

Hey, ladies... how's everyone today? For those Mamas out there, I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day! I got a call from each of the boys so that made it a banner day for me.

I've been working slowly on my entry in the Alliance for American Quilts "Crazy for Quilts" Contest. Time is passing rather quickly, though, so I need to get my butt in gear! Here is the lovely lady that will reside in the upper left corner of the piece:
Top left block
I finished the barely visible seams and added pearls around her picture. I'm pretty tickled that they came out so well, with no blank spaces and in perfect order! I'm not sure how I'll finish off the doily since it isn't perfectly round. A spray of flowers might be in the plan somewhere, though.

Here is the lower left block:
Bottom left block
I placed a button cluster in the outer corner. I think it needs some help but probably won't do more on it until I have them all sewn together. Here's a closer look (click to embiggen):
Button cluster closeup
The left side needs to have a vine trailing out across the seam to balance it out, I think. We'll see!

Here is the lower right hand block:
Bottom right block
If you think the piecing is a bit wonky on these, you're right. I decided to use a method other than the center first piecing method, just for fun. Probably not the smartest thing to do for an entry in a contest; however, I need to keep pushing myself and learning so I keep myself interested and engaged. That being said, I find this method harder than starting with that little five-sided center bit of cloth, that's for sure!

Ok... off to keep stitching... hope I get it done in time!

4 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

so feminine and pretty--I hope you get it done too!

allie aller said...

it's got that Marty Elegance going...

I think this contest is a perfect venue for experimenting a little bit! I sure didn't see anything "wonky", either.

Keep pushing so you can finish in time!

Rian said...

This is absolutely gorgeous. Your stitching is beyond compare.

Susan Elliott said...

This is an absolute stunner. What a fabulous beginning. I hope your absence means your busy getting it done! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that button cluster -- looks like a paisley, kind of -- rather than a vine over the seams, I'd be tempted to place smaller pearls and beads and let the cluster "milky way" over into the next patch...BUT you've probably already come up with something absolutely fabulous that is going to blow our socks off...so I'll take myself away now...but I'm waiting with baited breath...xo Susan