Thursday, March 12, 2009

Long story short...

Hey, ladies... so glad you are still hanging around my little bit of the blogosphere!

The above title refers to the fact that my continuing tiredness has finally been diagnosed. Over the past two months, we have been through the ringer medically. I had some wonky blood tests come back over a period of several months and my family doctor thought I had lgl Leukemia. She set me up with a hemotologist/oncologist and ordered an abdominal ultrasound to check for an enlarged liver and spleen.

The ultrasound then showed an unknown mass in my liver. A followup MRI was inconclusive so I had a PET scan done which showed I didn't have liver cancer or any other tumors anywhere, which is a good thing to find out when you are 56! The mass was just "fatty infiltration" which comes from age, alcohol (ahem) and being overweight (double ahem).

Then I had a visit with the oncologist who said "no, it's not leukemia, you have a virus of some kind, we just have to figure out which one." More blood tests of ever deepening intricacy showed that I had Epstein Barr virus, although it is not currently "active." It just makes me so tired I can't see straight. It is believed to be the cause of mononucleosis and a precursor to chronic fatigue syndrome. Oh, wonderful... just what I need. ***sigh*** Anyway, I'm still tired but I don't have cancer, so YAY!

Well, that wasn't a really short story, but I see you folks as my friends and I wanted to let you know what has been going on... hope you don't mind!

I have barely touched Midsummer since my last post. I got some more beading done on the seam treatments this past weekend, but that's about it. Last night I did lay the bottom row of blocks out on the coffee table and played with positioning some embellishments and some of the crocheted leaves. I'm hoping the playing will get me moving again on it. Keep your fingers crossed! ;0)

I'll be back in a few days. Take care, my ladies!

13 comments:

Kathy Raker said...

No cancer, those are oh so sweet words. I know very little about the Epstein Barr virus, but it's good it isn't active. Wishing you the best.

Jane said...

It must be such a relief to know what is happening, the unknown can be so scary. Here's to getting better

Debra Dixon said...

Yikes! So happy that you know what is going on--that has to be a big relief. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Jo in NZ said...

Oh Marty, I hope you come right!!
hugs
XX

Anonymous said...

Dear Marty, I'm very glad to hear you don't have cancer or any tumors. Dastardly news about eh E-B virus, thouth. There are some really strange viruses out there these days, it's a wonder any of us live past 50. Take care of yourself and if the dustbunnies pile up, so what. xoxo

Threadspider said...

Oh, you have been through the wringer Marty, but so glad the news is not as worrying as it might have been.Big hugs and you take care of yourself.

Cathy said...

Well, glad to know it wasn't life-threatening! The diagnosis process itself can be so long and drawn out, that I think you DID give us the short story! :-) Hope you're right as rain soon! Hugs, Cathy

sharonb said...

what a trial - these worries are exhausting too - I want give you my best wishes - take care

Susan Elliott said...

What a relief to finally know what is going on! Sorry that you've felt so tired -- that stinks. I saw a flag once that said "Right the ship" -- I wish I had bought it -- If I find one, I'll send it to you. Here's to smooth sailing from here on out!

allie aller said...

Marty, I am adding my best wishes to those of the other ladies here.
I'm so glad it is not cancer!!!!
Just take very, very good care of yourself for us, will you?

Rissa said...

I suck for not checking your blog sooner. I am glad that you do not have cancer, sorry that you do have EB. :-( Wishing you the best!!!!

Francy said...

hope you feel better every day! I bet you are very releived it was not Cancer. You have really been thru the wringer!

Best wishes.

PS: love the background of your site.

Lisa Boni said...

Well, I'm obviously way behind in keeping up with your blog ~ just wanted to add my best wishes and prayers for your recovery from this. I know how hard it can be. Great news that it's not cancer!

Blessings to you!