Monday, July 17, 2006

The Return of Needle and Thread(s)

I managed to get stitching again this weekend. It felt good to sit and concentrate on my block. Here are the seam treatments I finished:

Ruched ribbon plus
This is the ruched ribbon with an additional line of stitching along it, ala Day 16. The ribbon by itself seemed rather skimpy, probably because I used 1/8" ribbon, so I added some to it.

I also added some to the fans from Day 2:
Day 2 plus
This is just straight stitches but it beefs up the line a bit. It brings it more in line with the vision I have for this wall hanging.

Here is Day 11:
Day 11
The oyster stitches gave me fits... I'm still not sure I got them right but it was time to move on. I used #8 perle cotton and I think I need a thicker thread like Sharon B used to make them look better. Oh oh... I see an virtual shopping trip to eBay in my future... ;0)

This is a variation on Annie's Day 19:
Folded ribbon
This seam is just below the wisteria so I didn't want it to be too overpowering. I may add more to it later but for now it will stay as it is.

And this one is Sharon's Day 19:
Day 19
I really like this one... it is simple but packs alot of punch, especially when gussied up with a few beads...

And, last but not least... here is the finished Block #1:
Seams finished!
Sorry for the blurring... my camera won't go out of macro mode. Anyway, this kinda shows where I'm going with this wall hanging. It will be all about the seam treatments and nothing but the seam treatments. I'm going to use it as a sampler so all these wonderful ideas stare me in the face when I have stitcher's block.

I wonder if I can stick to this idea? Guess we'll see!

5 comments:

allie aller said...

Yay, Marty!
Wow, I love how regular the stitching is...all together it makes such a harmonious look.

Marty52 said...

Thanks, Allison... oh, to answer your last comment... Cottonwood would be a lovely place to live... the commute; however, would be terrible! Maybe when we retire one of the mountan towns would be cool... we'll have to do some exploring.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your stitching looks so perfect. Do you use templates to mark your seams? They look great

Gerrie said...

Such beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

Marty, beautiful work! I enjoyed the section on the tiger tape, too. Thanks for sharing.

ElizM

Sorry, if this is a second post blogger is bring me back to another scrambled word.