I moved the quilt blocks to the design wall Tuesday night and played with fabrics until I had the ones I wanted for the next two blocks. Then last night I sat down and started piecing as soon as I got home from work. I pieced two more blocks... the ones between the lower left corner and the moon. I also decided to go with the moon centered on the block and added some pieces to the corners to round it out a bit. Embroidery will soften the edges and add the halo around the moon effect I'm looking for. Anyhoo... here are the top left three blocks...
and here is the quilt as it stands now, pinned on the design wall (click to get larger sizes).
If my calculations are correct (and this is ALWAYS in doubt), it will end up somewhere around 42" X 62" (106cm X 157cm). I have decided to put an inner border, as Rian (I believe) suggested when I first unveiled the design. My original thought was to have the inner blocks kind of meld into the outer blocks; however, after much thought I have decided that the border will frame the inner blocks nicely and provide a window affect for the forest scene. I don't know what I'll do on the border, but some thoughts are percolating! In fact, they are percolating a bit too much, I woke up last night for my nightly stumble to the bathroom around 2am and then couldn't get back to sleep because I kept going over the quilt and it's design in my head and couldn't shut it off. I finally had to get up and have some milk (with Hershey's syrup - puts me to sleep everytime) and settle myself before I could go back to sleep. Too many more nights like that and I'll be about worthless!
More progress in a couple of days, ladies!