Saturday, November 11, 2006

Veteran's Day

Today is Veterans Day in the US; Armistice Day or Remembrance Day in other countries.

I am a veteran of the US Navy. I joined in 1970 and was honorably discharged in 1976. I am what is called a Vietnam-era veteran. I didn't see combat like many of the guys did. Neither did Glenn, thankfully. He was also in the Navy, 1970-1979. During our time in the Navy we were stationed in many different places. I was stationed in Maryland and Virginia, met and married Glenn while serving in Puerto Rico, went to school in New Jersey and finally spent 3 years in Hawaii. I grew up alot during those years!

A few years later, I went to work at Fort Polk, Louisiana for the US Army. I worked there for nearly 10 years, 1989-1998, supporting the support system of the soldiers and their families. I worked there thru the first Gulf war and watched the bombing of Baghdad from the Colonel's office in the security building.

Now I work for a Department of Defense contractor that designs and makes the robots that search for IEDs in suspicious areas along the roadsides of Iraq and Afghanistan.

I tip my hat and raise a cheer for all those who have served, in all countries, in all wars, both overseas and at home. May you return safely to your family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to your sentiments. And combat or not, I thank you for your service too.

Anonymous said...

Hats off to all of our veterans who serve sacrificially in defense of our country. Our liberties are dear to us and we thank you and pray for our troops.

Anonymous said...

How interesting! Wow, a Vietnam vet. My hat's off to you, lady! Muchas gracias!!

allie aller said...

It's an honor to know you, Marty.
And thank you...